In late June, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, known for his accurate notes, talked about Apple’s plans to change the shape of future generations of iPad tablets. Specifically, in the second half of 2020, it expects the release of the iPad Air 2020, the supply of components for which will begin in the third quarter, according to DigiTimes. In addition, the cost of this model may be lower than the $ 499 requested for the current generation of iPad Air, as Apple is going to follow the new strategy set by the iPhone SE 2020, which confirms the latest report from Taiwan suppliers.
This despite the fact that the gadget will receive notable improvements, including a new chipset (possibly A13 Bionic) and an increased screen diagonal to 10.8 ″. Also, according to the latest rumors, the iPad Air 2020 may become the first Apple tablet (not the Pro series) to go to the USB-C port instead of the outdated Lightning.
Apple plans to release an iPad 10.8 ″ this year and an iPad Mini 8.5 in 2021
Earlier, well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo (Ming-Chi Kuo) published a new forecast for Apple that plans to release new models of the iPad tablet series. According to the informant, Apple plans to release a new 10.8-inch iPad in the second half of 2020 and next year (the first half of 2021) will release an 8.5-inch iPad.
Ming-Chi Kuo did not specify whether the 10.8-inch iPad model would be the new version of the existing 10.2-inch iPad or the 10.5-inch iPad Air, but said earlier that the 8.5-inch model would replace the iPad mini . Apple last updated the iPad mini in March 2019, adding the Apple A12 Bionic SoC, an updated front camera and support for the Apple Pencil stylus. The same analyst added that Apple will include 20 watts of power in the box of both new iPads.
Following is a reminder of the specifications of the iPad Air 10.5 ″ / iPad mini 7.9 ″ (2019).
Apple iPad Air 10.5 inches (2019) / Apple iPad Mini (2019) specifications
- iPad Air – 10.5-inch (2224 x 1668 pixel) retina display with P3 color gamut, 500 nits brightness, 264 PPI
- iPad Mini – 7.9 inch (2048 x 1536 pixel) retina display with P3 color gamut, 500 nits brightness, 326 PPI
- Octa-Core A12 Bionic 7nm chip with 64-bit architecture and M12 co-processor
- 64 GB / 256 GB variants
- iOS 12
- 8MP camera with f / 2.4 aperture, 5P lens, hybrid IR filter
- 7MP FaceTime HD front camera with f / 2.2 aperture, Retina Flash
- Dual microphones for calls, stereo speakers
- 4G LTE (optional), Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0
- Touch the ID
- iPad Air- Dimensions: 250.6×174.1x 6.1mm; Weight: 456g (WiFi) / 464g (4G)
- iPad Mini – Dimensions: 203.2x 134.8x 6.1mm; Weight: 300.5g (WiFi) / 308.2g (4G)
- Rechargeable lithium battery 30.2-watt-hour (iPad Air) / 19.1-watt-hour (iPad Mini). With up to 10 hours of web browsing via Wi-Fi, video watching or listening to music